Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Season Finale


I can hardly believe it, but the 2010 season of Grant Park Music Festival is over. I feel as though there was a lot of build-up as I prepared for my first GPMF season. I am still relatively new at TSG, and I was very excited to have the opportunity to work with this particular client. I spent a couple months mentally preparing, drafting press releases, assembling artist headshots and bios, and pitching the season opening...and now it is all over.


Looking back on it - the season was exceptional. I have to say - it was not what I expected. Grant Park Music Festival has a way of keeping its traditional audience while still drawing in the ever-elusive younger crowd with contemporary and innovative guest artists. Being a twenty-something myself, I was particularly impressed with the range of talent GPMF was able to bring in this season.


The Independence Celebration concert had me smiling throughout the entire performance. This concert was able to juxtapose the contemporary BAM! dancers with the traditional Trinity Irish dancers in a way that I didn't expect. And Chorus Director Christopher Bell captured the audience with his skill and his phenomenal costume that consisted of American flag pants and platform shoes! Not a bad way to spend the holiday weekend!


Another personal highlight was the Planet Earth Live concert. I am a huge fan (and owner) of Planet Earth and have been known to watch hours of the documentary series on end. However, viewing this breathtaking series in the solace of my own home does not even hold a candle to the setting I was able to experience this summer. GPMF was able to have George Fenton, the original score composer, conduct the Grant Park Orchestra as parts of the series played on a hi-def screen behind the orchestra. I just remember taking a moment to look around me. The sky almost dark, the city is illuminated by the surrounding buildings, and a small breeze swept over the audience from nearby Lake Michigan...and here I am watching one of my favorite series among hundreds of people on a beautiful Chicago summer night...and this is part of my job. How lucky am I?!


The final concert was extraordinary. Principal Conductor Carlos Kalmar brings such energy to his work that I find to be extremely impressive. I for one was shocked at his ability to truck through Mahler's Symphony No. 2 (which by the way, is a very, very long piece). Afterwards, Beth and I had a chance to attend the wrap-up party for staff and guests at the Goose Island beer garden where we listened to a few closing remarks and chatted with everyone who had helped make this season such a success. Not to mention this furthered our new obsession with everything Goose Island. For all of those who have not tried "Green Line" I suggest you get on it...it has been the topic of conversation at the TSG offices ever since our Cubs outing!


Anyways, I could go on forever about my favorite concerts but I'll try and keep this brief and sum it all up. There were so many things that I gained from the last couple months, but I am especially appreciative for two reasons.
1. GPMF season opened my eyes in many ways and allowed me to embrace a kind of music I had not truly appreciated before.
2. I had a chance to have some serious face-time with multiple members of the media. Usually our communication is limited to email or the phone, but this allowed me to build a repertoire with some of the major music critics in Chicago (which is crucial in this business!).
Ok - this post is getting a little long so that is all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment