Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rehearsal at the Joffrey, with a Special Guest

This afternoon, Farrah, the Account Supervisor for The Joffrey Ballet, was running down to Joffrey Tower to meet with a writer. When she asked me to come along, I agreed. She had just received a call and heard that Mikhail Baryshnikov would be attending a rehearsal for Othello, and that I could sit in.

We were seated in a small balcony overlooking the studio space. The room was dark and quiet, with all eyes focused on the activity below. After seeing so many performances over the years, and after taking dance classes myself, I saw firsthand the effort, dedication, and passion that goes into a professional performance. But what really struck me was that I had never seen so many Joffrey dancers offstage at one time: laughing, joking, practicing in between segments. Watching Lar Lubovitch interact with the dancers and bring his vision to life was eye-opening. I've always been fascinated by how the slightest change in tone, wording, etc. can profoundly impact communication. The same is true of non-verbal communication.

Photo courtesy of The Joffrey Ballet


Of course, watching Baryshnikov watch The Joffrey Ballet rehearse was like watching a tennis match. I'm not sure if I watched the dancers or him more. He has as commanding a presence offstage as he does on.

It was an amazing opportunity and an amazing afternoon, and would have been for any intern. Yet the experience reaffirmed why I'm glad to be working with a small group of people who truly know and love what they do. So many of my classmates work for large agencies. While I'm glad that Chicago affords us that luxury, I've never been able to see myself at a large, impersonal company. My father owns a small business, and I simply feel comfortable at a place where everyone knows all of their client's employees by their first name. Baryshnikov said the following about dance, but it's uncanny how well the metaphor applies to public relations:




It doesn't matter how high you lift your leg. The technique is about transparency, simplicity and making an earnest attempt.





Baryshnikov will be performing Three Solos and a Duet at the Harris Theater this Friday-Sunday, Sept. 25-27.

The Joffrey will be performing Lar Lubovitch's Othello for the first time Oct. 14-25 at the Auditorium Theatre. Tickets are on sale now.

No comments:

Post a Comment